Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Spinach & Onion Egg Muffins


Eggs are a big part of my diet. I eat them at least once a day - always for breakfast and sometimes as part of another meal. My breaky is quick to whip together and is vibrant in taste and texture. Next time you're looking for something different, give this a try...

Heathy's Yummy Breaky Eggs

I pan fry 2 eggs in coconut oil (over-easy because I love a runny yolk).
After flipping them in the pan, I add chopped kale or chard to the pan.
I transfer the eggs to a plate and briefly add chopped tomato and homemade sauerkraut to the pan to warm up with the kale.
I add fresh basil pesto to the veggies and spread them over the eggs.
I sprinkle it all with raw parmesan.
Sometimes I add chopped roasted brussel sprouts on top too!


I just found a new way to enjoy eggs. Introducing egg muffins!

What the heck is an egg muffin?! It's simply just a frittata baked in a muffin cup. It makes an excellent portable snack or side dish to a salad. I made some for the first time yesterday and love the result. Add in whatever veggies you like, add raw cheese, pesto.... there are a world of possibilities for these little packets of deliciousness.

This recipe is just a rough outline. Three eggs plus the veggies made 5 muffins in a smaller sized silicone muffin pan. It would probably do 4 regular sized muffin cups.


Veggie Egg Muffins

3 eggs
2-3 tablespoons coconut milk
1/3 cup onion, diced
Large handful spinach, chopped
Small handful Cherry tomatoes, halved
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoons coconut oil or olive oil

Preheat an oven to 350F.
In a hot pan, saute the onion in the oil until translucent.
While the onion is sauteing whisk the eggs, coconut milk, salt and pepper in a bowl.
Add the spinach to the onion until wilted (this will be quick), and remove from heat.
Spoon the mixture into the bottom of the muffin cups. Sprinkle a few tomato halves on top.
Pour the egg over top.
Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.


How do you like YOUR eggs?

12 comments:

  1. I love my eggs runny and sauerkraut sounds like an amazing addition! These muffins look delicious as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many eggs per day do you eat? I eat a lot and wonder if I'm overdoing it (per day)...raw cheese..wish I had that here...i do goat cheese which is good...but cannot find raw cheese and definitely have no credit card or compulsion to start online food shopping, which might be slightly extreme !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like my eggs unfertilized, thank you (sorry, dirty joke, haha)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it! love over easy eggs with the raw yolk coming through :) these look fantastic we shall have to try these out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! I absolutely love poached eggs with a proper runny yolk and lots of pepper and tabasco :) Love the look of the little muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay happy to see more runny egg lovers! lol.

    Anonymous I eat 2-3 eggs a day. I think it's all individual though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the veggie egg muffins last week...and today...and ate them for breakfast and lunch! Thanks for the wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so awesome! Glad you enjoyed. I think its time to make another batch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Heather! Love your blogs - been following for awhile! Started off with all your great recipes for raw desserts when I was raw vegan. Now I recently started introducing meat and some raw dairy into my diet for health reasons. I find I've had similar struggles as you, accepting the new foods, and accepting with a positive attitude my body's need to gain weight.
    Anyways, love love love your recipes. I've been really loving poached eggs over steamed veggies. Also known as dippy eggs :) With a little hot sauce it's really a fantastic bowl of nutrients!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much! So great that you're feeling better now with the animal products. I noticed an immediate difference after adding these foods into my diet. Dippy eggs! :) I looove runny yolks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Heather.

    Thank you for being honest about your diet choices and "coming out" so to speak. I personally think a lot of raw vegans eat animal products ( I have witnessed this myself in close interaction with several high-profile raw fooders over the years). They are simply afraid to admit it and instead live a life of deception out of fear of retaliation by the raw vegan community. I have to say that I struggled with this myself for years. Crave the animal products but end up eating starch instead to salve my conscience and appease peer pressure which doesn't agree with my body or hubby's. Anyway, I am contemplating incorporating animal products and just throwing opinions about it out the window. I have done some research and will be using certified humane and locally raised products which I think is the best way to go for so many reasons. Anyway, really glad to see someone else in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon, I really appreciate your comment. Glad to hear that you are going to listen to your body even if it means upsetting your peers and your vegan conscience. It was really hard for me at first too, but this is what my body wants so Im glad I can now honor that... too bad it took a breaking point for me. I wish you all the best! :)

      Delete