Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Canadian Moose Bourguignon


A few weeks ago I made Beef Bourguignon - with moose, and it was incredible! Years ago I made it despite the fact I was a vegan and didn't eat it, so this time it was nice to be able to indulge in my efforts. This particular recipe comes from Ina Garten, from The Food Network. The only changes I made were to swap the regular flour for millet flour, and of course, use moose instead of beef. The dish takes a few hours, but makes a large batch, sure to keep you fed for days. 



Beef Bourguignon

Copyright Ina Garten, All rights reserved

Prep Time:
30 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
1 hr 15 min
Level:
Intermediate
Serves:
6 servings

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon good olive oil
  • 8 ounces dry cured center cut applewood smoked bacon, diced
  • 2 1/2 pounds chuck beef cut into 1-inch cubes
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound carrots, sliced diagonally into 1-inch chunks
  • 2 yellow onions, sliced
  • 2 teaspoons chopped garlic (2 cloves)
  • 1/2 cup Cognac
  • 1 (750 ml.) bottle good dry red wine such as Cote du Rhone or Pinot Noir
  • 1 can (2 cups) beef broth
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (1/2 teaspoon dried)
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature, divided
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 pound frozen whole onions
  • 1 pound fresh mushrooms stems discarded, caps thickly sliced

For serving:

  • Country bread or Sour Dough, toasted or grilled and rubbed with garlic clove
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, optional

Directions

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Add the bacon and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is lightly browned. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a large plate.
Dry the beef cubes with paper towels and then sprinkle them with salt and pepper. In batches in single layers, sear the beef in the hot oil for 3 to 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove the seared cubes to the plate with the bacon and continue searing until all the beef is browned. Set aside.
Toss the carrots, and onions, 1 tablespoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of pepper in the fat in the pan and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the Cognac, stand back, and ignite with a match to burn off the alcohol. Put the meat and bacon back into the pot with the juices. Add the bottle of wine plus enough beef broth to almost cover the meat. Add the tomato paste and thyme. Bring to a simmer, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and place it in the oven for about 1 1/4 hours or until the meat and vegetables are very tender when pierced with a fork.
Combine 2 tablespoons of butter and the flour with a fork and stir into the stew. Add the frozen onions. Saute the mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of butter for 10 minutes until lightly browned and then add to the stew. Bring the stew to a boil on top of the stove, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste.
To serve, toast the bread in the toaster or oven. Rub each slice on 1 side with a cut clove of garlic. For each serving, spoon the stew over a slice of bread and sprinkle with parsley

11 comments:

  1. Especially can't go wrong with an Ina Garten recipe - looks DELICIOUS! I shall try some when I see you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather,
    I'm wondering. I live in Southern Ontario and don't have stuff like Applewood bacon or moose :( Unfortunate.
    So, my grocer sells "Angus Free-Range beef" ; it is "Halal certified". I can get a "round" or "sirloin" or something like that steak. I can also get "stewing beef". The nutritionals or fat or lean content on it is not listed. However, it is listed as: free of all hormones, antibiotics, etc.
    What do you think about that?
    Also, I need to find recipes for single servings (for a beef stew and chicken soup for example). I only live by myself and don't have big pots or storage units to store things..makes things tricky.
    Do you eat many flours or grains now at all?
    I keep debating if I should add them in or not (or beans or lentils). I eat starchy tubers every day. The thing is that I'm not exercising. But I am extremely underweight.
    I really don't know if I should eat "right" , eveen though the calories would be low and then straighten out my guts...or if I should first gain at least 15-20 lbs (because my weight is super low). Not sure. I've read about the SCD diet and it seems fitting for me. But that is no grains. So I am not sure how to do all this.
    SIGH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the recipe idea... i tried your meatloaf recipe and it was great! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather,
    How do you feel about beanless hummus recipes? (they use tahini and zucchini and olive oil instead).
    And how do you feel about baked goods with no added sugar , lots of eggs, and either coconut or almond flour?
    Do you think they can work on a healthy detox plan when a person is low low energy and in need of health restoration?
    Any sites or recipes on other internet or blog sites that you trust as completely healthy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi can you make your posts link to feed burner or something similiar so that when you post we can receive them directly into our email inbox?
    Thank you ~ great blog
    lucea

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO good. I hope you install the email-subscribe feature on this blog soon so that I can keep up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What happened to you posting!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a lovely recipe. I'm new to your blog and have just spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a wonderful evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather, I'm not sure my earlier post went through. I just wanted you to know that while I'm new to your blog I very much enjoy the food and recipes you share with your readers. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where the heck did you get moose from?? I now live in the Northwest Territories and was treated to some wild moose meat from some hunters up here. I never thought southern Canadians ate it though! An incredible high protein, (extremly) lean meat huh. We loved the taste - its makes for some killer chili as my husband and I tried out (have attached link below fyi). Have enjoyed reading your blog. I am a high protein, raw-food fan too (but also a keen baker) - also just getting back into eating meat frequently. Will keep on eye on your blog for sure.

    www.delacasa.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/moose-burritos/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, Im terrible at keeping up this site.. Thanks so much for your comments. I'll install the subscription link. Also Im about to start up a new blog for recipes like this along with some vegan and raw ones.

    To Anon - I think natural, hormone free beef is totally if if thats what you have access to.

    Stories - I love zucchini hummus! Since Im still big into raw food, I do enjoy things li ke that. As for baking, I do love to bake and enjoy using eggs, natural sweeteners, almond flour, coconut flour. Great ingredients!

    Christina - my dad hunts moose in northwestern Ontario. Deer and elk too. Yes moose chili is really wonderful. Will check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete